Updated 1/12/2016 8:20 am @ Union City, California – I’ve decided to give Little Blackie an actual nickname as well – Mordo. 🙂 I love the movie Doctor Strange and Mordo (aka Sorcerer Supreme) is the super villain character and he is pretty badass.
Updated 12/25/2016 8:47 am @ San Francisco, California – added photos of little blackie and more info about it
Written by Frank M. Lin 12/21/2016 8:36 am @ Union City, California – I picked up this car few days ago with the help of Luke LFP from Santa Cruz California few days ago.
I needed a daily driver because both our 1999 Lexus LX470 SUV and 2002 Mercedes Benz E55 sedan needed to be worked on. At first I was looking at Craigslist’s used 2002 Mercedes Benz E55 which is available $6500-8000. It has 145k miles but looks well cared for and very clean. And from our own experience with my brother’s 2002 E55 I feel like it is a worthy car to get. I had to moved out and cash was very tight so I decided to buy this beater Civic I found on craigslist for $1500. It has TEIN Basics coilover kit and Skunk2 intake manifold, and also 7 spoke fat mirror face from EK Civic so I thought the $1500 asking price was reasonable but in retrospect I should have made a lower offer say $1300. The car has no AC system but it does have a working stereo with a big subwoofers system in the back so I can play music via. bluetooth. The car has many small issues, almost all I can fix no problem so even at $1500 it isn’t a terrible buy. It actually manage to have a clean title which is quite rare now days.
1995 Honda Civic EX coupe
- originally grey but has spray can black paint job lol
- limo level tint on rear 3 windows, good quality. very dark but clear
- was slammed and easily scrapped, i raised it about 1.5″ all around about 1 finger gap. much better ground clearance now and still looks decent.
- car felt slow even for D16Z6 and i found out why, cheap ebay header is smashed to half diameter due to ultra low ride height and TEIN Basic is rather soft.
- clutch seems like, and i’ll guess the flywheel probably is too, but it is perfectly fine.
- transmission seems okay but it does grind 3rd gear at times. i will change the fluid to Redline MTL soon. i have over a dozen quarts of MTL i forgot where i got them from. i think it was a cheap deal i bought off CL many years ago.
- missing fender underside covers on both sides. also missing driver’s side skirt for some reason. i hope to score these for cheap at a you-pick-it junk yard soon.
- cheap intake
- exhaust appears to be crush-bent 2.5″ resonator-less with a magnaflow muffler, decently quiet. not sure about its power making ability will have to dyno and find out
- has a factory Honda catalytic converter; should pass smog pretty easy
- no AC, PS seems to make minor noises I’ve already adjusted the belt tension it was way too tight before, but it might have damaged the pump already. makes a slight funky whine at times.
- interior was dirty and nasty AF, i spent 2+ hours vacuuming and cleaning it. it is acceptable now.
- front license plate was stored inside on windshield. i scored two OG old school 5Zigen license frames from Motorsports Techniques so i installed them.
- windshield has a huge spider crack, it’s not bad enough to bother me. so i will probably ignore it for a while…
- has a decent Kenwood deck, stock interior speaks and a pretty solid sub and sub amp. this thing has some good bass.
- clean title but there is front end damage before. nothing beyond the radiator core support, so it is okay.
- all four wheel bearings are bad. like really bad… i need to change them all soon.
- has LED headlight conversion, nice a bright
- has GSR style short shifter wrongly installed so the shift position is wrong, way too up front. i jacked up the car and correctly this already.
- front tires were beginning to cord. luckily i have two General Tire from FF Battle 4 that has been unused sized 195/55/15 that goes perfectly with the stock EK Si wheels (15×6 et40).
- oil was really dirty so i flushed it and added 4 quart of high milage mineral oil from Walmart. didn’t have time to change oil filter element. there are some leaks from valve cover that i will fix later.
- engine torque mount bushings are shot, i will probably try the $65 ebay 3 piece mounts.